Text: Genesis 1:1-3 Let us look at the three words: And God said. The word and is a conjunction that joins something that has gone before to something that is about to happen. As for God, you know who God is and then said, simply means, what He said.
The importance of a statement is determined by the one who made the statement. The Bible says: ‘’And God said’’ that is, the maker of heaven and earth is the one speaking here. Out of all the things in the world, He described Himself as the Word. In the beginning was the word, the word was with God and the word was God. So the Word is speaking the word here.
In Genesis 1, when God finished creating the heavens and the earth, the earth was without form, confused, disorderly, void and empty; this was the situation before God said, ‘let there be light.’ So when God said, ‘let there be light’ there are several things that we could see from that statement.
- LET CONFUSION END. 1 Corinthians 14-33 says, God is not the author of confusion. So, confusion came as a result of forces of darkness. When God said, ‘let there be light,’ He is saying, confusion must come to an end, there must be order now. If you read Genesis 1:4-5, the next thing God did was to separate light from darkness. He says to darkness; stay on your own side because light has come.
In John 9:5, Jesus Christ said, I am the light of the world. In Matthew 5:14-16, He turned to His own people and said, you are the light of the world. In other words, He announced to the devil and all the power of darkness to stay on their side, because Jesus and those who are His belong to the light.
- LET PROGRESS BEGIN. In Exodus 10:21-23, the Bible says, when there was darkness in the land of Egypt for three days, the Egyptians could not even stand up from where they sat. Darkness stops progress. If you are driving a car in the night and suddenly, your head lamp goes off, if you are wise, you will stop immediately until light comes. Motion begins when light comes on.
In Genesis 26:12-14, the plan of God for your life is not that you will be great alone; He wants you to continue until you are very great. I told my children, it doesn’t matter what you see now, we have not yet started.
- LET FULLNESS BEGIN: when God said, let there be light, He is saying, let fruitfulness begin; because, if you read Genesis 1:21-22, after God created heaven and earth and He said, let there be light and He puts several things in order, He said, ‘’sun, you take care of the day, moon, take care of the night.’’ After He finished all that, He said, ‘’Sea bring forth abundantly.’’ Let there be light means an end must come to emptiness.
- LET JOY BEGIN: Let there be light means, let joy begin. The Bible in Psalm 30:5 says, ‘’Weeping may endure for a night, joy comes in the morning.’’
There was a man who studied abroad and came back to Nigeria with two PhDs. and couldn’t get a job. This was when PhD holders were very few in the country. He would apply for job and they won’t even call him for interview because darkness surrounded him. When he was brought to my office at Ebute-Metta, Lagos, I thought he was a mad man; but when he gave his life to Jesus, light showed into his life and before he got home, he got a phone call that says, ‘’we got your application and we need you.’’ He started work, few months later, he got married, nine months after that; he got a set of twins. His joy began when light came.
The next time God spoke to man after He created him in Genesis 1:26-28, His first statement to man is, you are blessed. He has just created Adam and He looked at him and said you are blessed
What does it mean to be blessed? There are several things:
- ALL THE FORCES IN HEAVEN AND ON EARTH SEE TO IT THAT YOU SUCCEED. In Genesis 27: 26-29, when Isaac blessed Jacob, he said, the dew of heaven will bless thee; rain will fall on your land in the right season. Rain will fall at the right time if you are blessed. Isaac said to Jacob, the fatness of the soil will be part of what will make you succeed; it is not every soil that is a good soil. Jesus Himself told us in the Parable of the sower in Matthew 13:3-8 that a sower went to sow; some fell by the way side, some fell on rocks, some fell among thorns but some fell on the good soil. Then He went further to say, let people serve you. The reason why some people have not succeeded is because there is nobody to support them.
- ALL FORCES WILL HELP YOU: This means, all angelic forces must help you, all forces on earth must help you, human beings must help you but it means more than that; if you are blessed of God, you cannot be cursed. In Numbers 23:5-11, the Bible says, one king got one prophet and he asked him to curse the children of Israel so that he would be able to defeat them; but instead of the prophet to curse the children of Israel, He blessed them. The king got angry and the prophet said, how can I curse whom God has not cursed. God has blessed them and they are blessed.
The first time God spoke to man, He said, you are blessed; be fruitful, multiply, replenish the earth and have dominion. We all know to be fruitful means, whatever you touch will be prosper. Multiply means rapid increase. Replenish means overflow. Psalm 23:5 says, thou prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemy and then anointed my head with oil and my cup runnest over.
- NO WEAPON FASHIONED AGAINST YOU SHALL PROSPER. In Isaiah 54:17, God says, no weapon fashioned against you shall prosper. This means God will protect you and He explains why in Isaiah 54:15-16; He says, they will gather against you but not of me and He said, those who gather against you shall fall for your sake. And then He said, I made all the destroyer to destroy and I can neutralize their weapon. In Mark 16:17-18 He says, there is no poison that will have effect on you and even that of a snake will have no effect on you and He proved it in Acts 28:1-6 when a snake came out of fire and fastened his teeth on Paul and people thought he would soon die but he just shook it off.
In Daniel 3: 14-30, a king got angry with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and he said they should make the fire seven times hotter and they should throw these boys into the fire because they refused to bow for his idol. The fire was so hot to an extent that those who threw them in were burnt by the fire, but when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, got into the fire, the One who said, no weapon fashioned against you shall prosper told the fire, ‘suspend your ability to burn. These are my boys, you can’t touch them.’
In Daniel 6:1-28, Daniel was thrown into the den of lion and God told the lions, ‘’I want you to have constipation all night and tomorrow, you can eat as you like.’’ When He said, no weapon fashioned again you shall prosper, He is saying, ‘’I will protect you.’’
- DIVINE PROVISION: In Genesis 17:1, He said to Abraham, ‘’I am the Almighty God, the All sufficient God’’ meaning; I will provide for you adequately, sufficiently and abundantly.
Jehovah El-shaddai, the God who is more than enough can provide by various means. In 1 Kings 17: 2-6, He provided for food for Elisha through birds. In the same 1 Kings 17:8-16, He provided through a woman. In 1 Kings 19:4-8, He provided through an Angel. In John 6:5-13, He provided through a small boy. I don’t want to know how God will do it, but I decree right now, all your needs shall be met because God said He shall supply all your needs.
- I WILL PROMOTE YOU: God said in Isaiah 66:1, ‘’Heaven is my throne and the earth is my foot stool.’’ What is He saying here? He is saying to somebody loud and clear, ‘I will promote you.’ How do we see that in the passage, He is higher than the highest, there is no seat that is higher than His seat; so if your boss says, ‘’I am not going to promote you,’’ He can send the boss on compulsory leave and promote you. When He says, ‘’the earth is my foot stool’’ He is saying anyone that wants to hinder your promotion is under my foot.
In Proverbs 21:1, He says, ‘’the kings heart is in my hand and I turn it like a river.’’ When you go through the scriptures, you will find out that God can deal with anyone who wants to interfere with your promotion, unless the fellow does not sleep on this earth. This is because, God controls even the sleep of kings and He can tell a king, no sleep tonight because I have an assignment for you. In Esther 6:1-13, there was a fellow called, Haman who wanted to destroy Mordecai and God said, ‘’I can take care of that.’’ So, He made sure the king didn’t sleep. Now, because the king could not sleep, the one that was to be destroyed became the one that was promoted.
In Genesis 37:5-11, God showed Joseph, a very small boy that he was going to be promoted. Years passed and instead of promotion, he became a slave and from being a slave he became a prisoner but God had said to the boy, ‘’am going to promote you.’’ But in one night, a king slept and God gave him two frightening dreams. Due to the king’s dreams, Joseph was promoted from a prisoner to a Prime Minister in less than 24hours. But what I like in the story of Joseph was the statement Pharaoh made in Genesis 41:44, He said, ‘’I am Pharaoh, from now on, Joseph, nobody will do anything in this kingdom without your permission.’’ Pharaoh spoke and he didn’t know it was God that was speaking through him.
In Revelations 3:7, God said, ‘’I have the key of David, when I open no man can shut and when I shut no man can open.’’ What God is saying here is, ‘’He has the last say.’’ In Psalm 33:11, the Bible says, ‘’the counsel of the Lord shall stand.’’ This is because, if He says it, it is settled. God has the final say.
In conclusion, in Isaiah 45:11, God says, ‘’Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.’’ But you have to be His own to command Him; if you have not given your life to Jesus, confess your sins to Him and let Him be your Lord and Saviour then, you can go ahead and command Him concerning the work of His hand.